Rights Card on Alcohol Seizure

Download the cards for printing



I do not consent

To anyone, including law enforcement, seizing or dumping my alcohol. If you seize my alcohol, you: 

  • Infringe my right to healthcare

  • Put my health and safety at risk

  • Expose me to alcohol withdrawal

  • Discriminate against me due to illness/disability

This violates my right to equality and my right to life, liberty, and security of the person under sections 15 and 7 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and BC’s Human Rights Code. 

If you seize my alcohol, your actions will:

  • Undermine harm reduction, despite support from the City of Vancouver, Vancouver Coastal Health, and Vancouver Police Department

  • Ignore BC’s Guideline for the Clinical Management of High-Risk Drinking and Alcohol Use Disorder, specifically the 8 principles of care that should be incorporated into the planning, implementation, and provision of managed alcohol

Eastside Illicit Drinkers Group for Education (EIDGE) is a group of people who use illicit alcohol. We work to improve the lives of illicit drinkers through education and support. We work together to end the discrimination of illicit drinkers and promote safety amongst our members.

Drinkers Lounge: We brew safe alcohol and spend time together to build a community of drinkers who are seeking to reduce harm to ourselves and others who consume illicit alcohol. We take ownership of the processes of alcohol consumption that we engage in and seek to empower each other and ourselves. We work to have agency over our own lives and deserve safe, dignified housing, quality health care, and fair, compassionate treatment in all things.

This rights information has been prepared by Pivot Legal Society. Please contact [email protected] or 604-255-9700 if you have feedback about the content of this document.

Police Complaints (Municipal)
To report a municipal (for example VPD) officer, call 1-877-999-8707

Police Complaints (RCMP)
To report an RCMP officer, call 1-800-665-6878

BC Ombudsperson
To report a bylaw officer or other city employee call 1-800-567-3247

Legal Aid
604-408-2172 or 1-866-577-2525


Get Updates

Using the law as a catalyst for positive social change, Pivot Legal Society works to improve the lives of marginalized communities.