This kit is intended for YIMBYs: people who understand the value of addressing homelessness, addictions, and mental illness in a proactive and positive way through safe and supportive housing, and who want to say “Yes in my backyard!” to projects that help people get off the streets. We hope you will find this guide useful in helping you respond to fears and prejudices about the people who live in supportive housing.
Housing Justice for all.
- Explains the ‘right to housing’
- Provides a framework for going from NIMBY (Not in my backyard) to YIMBY (Yes in my backyard)
- Offers useful myth busting information
- Details B.C.’s Human Rights Code and the legal framework to support the YIMBY position
- Includes case studies of challenges and success stories
Developed through the collaboration of shelter providers and advocacy groups, this kit offers simple tip for building a more inclusive Vancouver.
This toolkit is dedicated to all the incredible people across Vancouver working and volunteering to fight homelessness. Your commitment to making Vancouver a better community for everyone is a tribute to humanity’s compassion for one another.