Join the Hope in Shadows and Megaphone Team
The Vendor Coordinator is a full-time position at Pivot Legal Society reporting to the Hope in Shadows Project Director and Megaphone Operations Manager. The position will have one primary component, which is delivering direct vendor service to the homeless and low-income vendors who sell Megaphone and Hope in Shadows on the streets of Vancouver and Victoria, but will also develop vendor training and fulfill administrative, communication and inter-organizational tasks.
Qualifications and Priorities:
Undergraduate degree in related discipline (e.g., social work, psychology, and sociology) preferred or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
One to three years of previous work and/or volunteer experience in a similar environment (social service, nonprofit organization) and experience working directly with marginalized persons and people experiencing poverty. Experience working with a social service provider in the Downtown Eastside preferred. Knowledge of community resources would be an asset.
You will have: Demonstrated conflict resolution and de-escalation skills; demonstrated ability to work under pressure with competing demands; working knowledge and understanding of resources in the community for marginalized people; experience working with diverse individuals and groups and the ability to deliver culturally sensitive services; demonstrated knowledge and understanding of poverty related issues in Vancouver and Victoria; proven experience working independently, developing and facilitating groups; ability to maintain a positive approach and a professional manner at all times; ability to work both independently and as part of a team in the planning and delivery of services; computer skills to include: Windows, Excel; excellent oral and written communication; knowledge of a second language an asset.
Core Competencies: Engage in a self reflective and collaborative practice that is non-judgmental and compassionate and reflects the missions of Hope in Shadows and Megaphone; incorporate principles of diversity and equity in responding to the service needs of people experiencing poverty; demonstrate respect, consideration and acceptance of the opinions of others while expressing his or her own expertise and effectively utilizing relevant resources and specialists; consistently collaborate with team members, sharing ideas and differences openly; be receptive to new ideas and adapt to change as necessary; value the contribution of others and take action to strengthen partnerships and support others to achieve effective outcomes; take action to avoid or solve problems and create opportunities for positive change; demonstrate commitment to ongoing personal and professional development.
Closing Date: Friday, July 4 at 4PM
If this sounds like you put a link to your cover letter, resume, and a 140 character statement about why you fit the bill in the form below.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities
1.) Direct Vendor Service (50% of time)
• Recruit new vendors
• Lead orientations for new vendors and create vendor I.D. badges
• Assist vendors in finding places to sell Hope in Shadows/Megaphone and manage turf and lottery systems
• Visit vendors at their selling locations in the field
• Run monthly vendor meetings & vendor advisory board meetings
• Lead I Work Here Flyering campaign
• Organize and administer vendor incentives (uniforms, complimentary papers/calendars, birthdays, contests, etc.)
• Resolve turf conflicts and respond to vendor incidents with support from HIS and MP project leads
• Write letters of recommendation, referrals and proof of income for vendors
• Back up sales desk as needed
2.) Develop Vendor Learning Opportunities & Team Building Events (15% of time)
• Organize vendor team building/social events
• Organize specialized vendor sales training workshops with the goal of helping vendors increase their sales.
3.) Administration and Documentation (10% of time)
• Track & analyze vendor sales performance
• Maintain records of selling locations and document incidents, notifying staff when a serious incident has occurred or may occur
• Attend regular staff meetings w/Megaphone and Hope in Shadows
• Work with HIS and MP leads in developing best practices and policy documents (code of conduct, orientation, surveys, etc.)
4.) Community Relations & Vendor Recruitment (15% of time)
• Outreach to social service agencies and communities with the goal of vendor recruitment
• Outreach to business community and residential associations with the goal of turf expansion
• Represent Hope in Shadows & Megaphone at public events
5.) Inter-organizational Activities (10% of time)
- Work with other functions of Megaphone and Hope in Shadows to make sure that the vendors and vendor program needs are represented in decisions related to volunteer management, marketing, communications, fundraising, editorial and advocacy
Pivot is an equal opportunity employer.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.