Looking to change the world?
Pivot is looking for a full-time communications manager to take our successful communications strategy to the next level. We are excited to develop a stronger presence locally, nationally, and internationally with a coordinated voice, engaging web content, and hard-hitting social change work. Help us make it happen.
You are a passionate, experienced communications professional with a love for communicating complex social issues in an engaging way. You are a natural “people person” that is curious, enjoys connection, and recognizes the incredible power of personal narrative in making change. You have a number of communications successes – campaigns, appeals, media storms, etc. – under your belt. You are not afraid of working hard to get the job done. You are ready to work with and expand Pivot’s media contacts locally, nationally, and internationally. You are social media savvy – you don’t just watch the RTs and “likes” roll in, you interpret them. You are confident with databases and know how to write for the web – whether blog, email, post, or generic site content – and a little html doesn’t scare you.
We are a small team of lawyers and creatives committed to using the law to advance the interest of those living most on the margins. We conduct public interest campaigns in a variety of areas, including housing, drug policy, sex work, and police accountability. At the heart of our work is a deep connection with people’s lived experience of poverty and social exclusion. By making the most tangible violations of human rights the focal point of our efforts, we exert maximum pressure in order to shift society toward greater equality, inclusivity, and compassion.
About the Role
This is an exciting and complex role reporting directly to the executive director. Here is the break down:
You are the lead content strategist. You will:
• Develop and execute a communication plans for the organization and specific campaigns – including building narrative arches and timelines, identifying and deploying tools (digital or otherwise) – that assert Pivot’s brand identity and thought leadership across relevant channels and public/political/legal discourses
• Draft weekly blog posts for the organization
• Help to maintain Pivot’s connections with organizations working on similar issues locally, nationally, and internationally
• Draft and pitch op-ed’s on a regular basis
• Manage and draft bi-weekly member communications
• Lead bi-weekly communications team meeting
You are able to deliver the kind of coverage – locally, nationally, and internationally – that supports Pivot’s mandate for progressive social change. To that end you will:
• Build and maintain a media list in NationBuilder
• Write all press materials for the organization (including backgrounders, releases, and b-roll, and other collateral)
• Coordinate and pitch all press releases, conferences
• Mobilize and prep internal and external spokespeople and champions
• Work with campaign leads to build and foster relationships with journalists
You are an efficient and detail-oriented publication coordinator who will:
• Work with campaigners and writers to outline, write, and edit report
• Work with and support designers and photographers in the development and lay-out of the physical report and related collateral
• Ensure report/collateral contents, look, and feel fit Pivot’s voice and brand
• Develop and implement dissemination strategies – via news media, web, networks, etc. – to maximize report impact
You understand that all of the above needs to be embedded within a digital strategy. To that end, you will:
• Manage Pivot’s web content and design
• Manage Pivot’s social media presence, both generating and sharing content while maintaining a consistent tone across platforms
• Coordinate all new web projects
• Collaborate with tech strategists, videographers, and designers to ensure high quality digital experiences for the Pivot community
• Set goals for web, email, and social media, monitor and report on progress in an evidence-based manner that is meaningful to communicators, lawyers, creatives and others
Pivot’s model requires all staff to participate in our team-based structure. This includes:
- Attending and participating in Pivot’s team meetings (campaigns, communications, fundraising)
- Assist where required with organizational tasks and other duties as assigned.
This position includes a competitive non-profit salary (to be based on experience and qualifications) plus extended health benefits and includes 6 weeks paid vacation, professional development, and the chance to be part of a nimble, collaborative team. This is a one-year contract position with the possibility to extend.
Interested? If so, we want to hear from you. To apply for this job please fill out the form at the bottom of this page. Include a download link to your resume, cover letter and 140 character answer to why we should consider you for this position.
We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientation or gender identity.
Apply as soon as you can - we will be accepting applications until this position is filled.