Legal Help

Pivot is not a legal clinic or legal aid organization. Our mandate is to use the law strategically to achieve widespread social change. We work with low-income communities to develop legal strategies to address systemic problems affecting large numbers of people. We do not provide any drop-in legal services or offer legal advice over the phone or by email.

If you are looking for legal information and advice, here are some resources that may help.


Legal Aid

The Legal Services Society of BC (LSS)

  • LSS provides legal help to low-income people who meet certain criteria. If you don't qualify for representation by a legal aid lawyer, you may still be able to get some legal help through LSS. To apply or to find the office nearest you contact LSS:
  • Tel: 604-408-2172 (Lower Mainland) | 1-866-577-2525 (No charge outside the Lower Mainland)
  • Website:

Rise Women’s Legal Centre

  • Rise is a community legal centre striving to create accessible legal services that are responsive to the unique needs of self-identifying women, particularly those who are victims of violence, abuse and unequal power dynamics.
  • Tel: 604-451-7447
  • Website:

Prisoners' Legal Services

  • The West Coast Prison Justice Society promotes the rule of law within prisons and the fair and equal treatment of prisoners. The Society operates Prisoners’ Legal Services, a legal clinic for federal and provincial prisoners in BC.
  • Tel: 604-636-0470, 604-636-0464 (Mon - Fri, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.)
  • Website:


Legal Advice & Information

Access Pro Bono

  • Access Pro Bono operates a network of clinics across the province that offers free summary legal advice to low and modest-income people.
  • Tel: 604-878-7400 (Vancouver) | 1-877-762-6664 (outside of Vancouver)
  • Website:

The Law Students' Legal Advice Program (LSLAP)

  • LSLAP offers free legal advice to people in the Lower Mainland who cannot afford a lawyer. LSLAP clinics are run by law students from the University of British Columbia who are supervised by practicing lawyers.
  • Tel: 604-822-5791
  • Website:

The Community Legal Assistance Society (CLAS)

  • CLAS may be able to help with human rights claims, judicial reviews, mental health cases, social assistance, welfare, Canada Pension Plan, and Worksafe BC issues.
  • Tel: 604-685-3425 (Vancouver) | 1-888-685-6222
  • Website:

MOSAIC's Legal Advocacy Program

  • This program assists temporary foreign workers and offers advice on immigration and refugee law.
  • Tel: 604-254-9626
  • Website:

UBC Indigenous Community Legal Clinic

Catherine White Holman Wellness Centre

  • This non-profit organization is part of a networked community of helping professionals who prioritize the autonomy and dignity of transgender and gender diverse people. CWHWC provides trans* clients with summary advice.
  • Email: lawyer [at]
  • Website:


  • This online legal information and education site includes information about family law, immigration law, personal injury law, employment law, consumer law and much more. Clicklaw also provides online access to court forms and information about legal resources across BC.
  • Website:




  • This phone line provides free, confidential information and referrals to community resources including advocacy and legal help, and housing search assistance. Multilingual telephone assistance is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • 24-hour phone line: 211
  • Tel: 604-875-6381 | 604-875-0885 (TTY) | 604-836-6381 (text)
  • Website:
  • Email:

First United Church Advocacy

  • First United Church provides housing and poverty law advocacy. Sign up for an appointment on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:00-11:00 am, and Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30 - 2:30 pm.
  • You can drop in to their offices at 542 East Hastings Street or call.
  • Tel: 604-681-8365

St. Paul's Advocacy

Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre (TRAC)

  • TRAC provides free legal information about residential tenancy law in BC.
  • Tel: 604-255-0546  (Vancouver Area) | 1-800-665-1185 (Outside the Lower Mainland)
  • Website:


Police Complaints

  • To make a complaint about a police officer in British Columbia, contact the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner.
  • Tel: 250-356-7458 | 1-877-999-8707 (toll free)
  • Website:

If you need information about your rights when dealing with private security or want to make a complaint against a private security guard, visit BC’s Registrar of Security Services at: